Wednesday 23 May 2012

The Vibrators - Pure Mania



Pure Mania by The Vibrators, taken from the double album The Best Of: 25 Years of Pure Mania and originally the b-side to the single Judy Says in 1978. Video currently blocked in Germany. Probably my favourite Vibrators track. They were never one of my favourite punk bands, their archetypal punk sound was a bit too fabricated, but I used to love playing this one really loud when I was 12 or 13. I still remember hearing them on some Sunday afternoon chat show on BBC Radio 1 in 77, discussing punk and playing a few songs. Was probably at around the time of the Pistols' Bill Grundy interview. Punk was getting so much stick at that time. I remember that back then I used to hide all of my records in case my mum found them and got really pissed off with me, and maybe even threw them out. Obviously, I shouldn't have worried; I used to have a photo of her when she was a mod in the 60s, half her hair was black and half was bleached white, but such was the media furore surrounding punk back then that it was easy for a 12 year old kid like me to think the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Members